30 May 2007

communion.
tonight, while at the greek theater for the arcade fire concert (second time in about a month), i was looking around at the trees and the people and the sky and i was struck by the magic of people coming together for no reason other than to celebrate life through music. outdoor concerts do that to me. one time some friends and i went to a concert in central park. and as we walked away from the park afterwards, i felt awed by the community i had just experienced. thousands of people brought together by the beauty of a summer night and the brilliance of human creativity. and tonight, for a moment, i experienced that awe again.

the concert tonight wasn't quite what last month's concert in san diego was. according to seymour, you only get a spectacular show when you have a great band, a special venue, a fantastic audience, and a little something extra. and we definitely had that in san diego. tonight's crowd was a bit lackluster. and the sound wasn't loud enough (in large part due to the outdoor venue, i'm sure). but i still felt that magic of people celebrating life through music. and when regine sang 'in the backseat,' it took me back to that gorgeous night in england when i sat in the backseat of a taxi from the middle of nowhere to beverley. my friend becca sat in the front seat and was obliged to talk to the driver; i sat in the back seat and lost myself in the peace of the english countryside and the beauty of a starry night.

4 comments:

  1. dangit amy! i wrote a long comment and then it got deleted! aarrrggg.

    anyway...i won't try to recreate it but i do want to mention that we're having a going away party for my brother at my parents' on friday. i sent rob the info but i don't have your email. so call him for details for email me (mekamanchak@gmail.com) and i'll get them to you!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy-
    I can so relate.....I'm such a blubbering fool ....I cried at Lord of the Dance.....just because I recognized the effort the dancers put into developing their talents.....I cried at Les Mis...for the very same reason! Of course, I cry about sad songs and stories.....but I cry and *feel* a heart pounding sensation as I see groups of people come together to enjoy the talents of others.....often I wish I could have the focus of a great musician or dancer or or or...

    I love you!
    tash

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i could come, meka. i'd love to help see robbie off. but i'll be in colorado friday night. so no party for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, i'm not sure i would cry at lord of the dance, but i know what you mean. :) and i also find myself wishing for that kind of focus and ability. i often have to remind myself that it's okay to not have the kind of excellence that others have; that instead, i need to simply lose myself in the pursuit of the things i love and want to do. it's the only way we can achieve, really; when we stop trying to be what someone else is and instead simply love our own lives and gifts and let them grow into something beautiful.

    and as much as we focus on those doing the performing, the dynamic does not exist without the audience. without the people watcing and listening who respond and help create the magic of such a communal experience.

    ReplyDelete