23 November 2008

sleep.

two months ago, i couldn't sleep more than three hours at a time.  most nights i'd get between three and five hours of (disrupted) sleep.  six hours!!  that felt like heaven, even if it was disrupted.  six weeks ago, i was  getting between four and six hours a night, but it remained disrupted because i'd wake up every single night at 4:30.  a month ago, i was dependent on sleep medication to get any sleep.  which also meant that if i didn't go to bed early enough, my day the next day was a bit of a disaster.

and now?  now i sleep eight hours easily with no sleep meds.  it feels beautiful.  but it's a problem.  because i sleep my eight hours and then turn off my alarm and sleep another two.  or three.  i've never slept so much in my life.  i blame the sun.  or the absence thereof.  i get no sunlight in my new room, so it's easy to slide back into sleep in the mornings.

damn sleep!  it's stressing me out.  but i think i found the solution: an $8 alarm clock from ikea with a progressively more annoying alarm located underneath my loft bed so i have to actually get out of bed to turn it off.  so far it's worked wonders.

7 comments:

  1. I think the key is getting out of bed. Unfortunatly my alarm goes off three times and then is finished. Now my motivation for getting up is getting kids to school...that works wonders for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I've been struggling with through the past couple of weeks, and one of the reasons I landed myself in the hospital: sleep-induced insomnia. Grr. So ready to be healthy again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. asthma induced insomnia-thats what I meant to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sucks, sherpa. insomnia is horrid. i'm sure being hospitalized is no fun (an experience i've never had, which record i hope to maintain). the ambien helped me sleep, but i wasn't too fond of how fuzzy i felt when i woke up the next morning. i have a friend who tried both ambien and lunesta and liked the lunesta better. hopefully they just helped you get the asthma under control--therefore no more insomnia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe your body is just trying to make up for all the sleep you missed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing the waking up at 4.20 am every single morning thing too at the moment. Makes life such a struggle, n'est-ce pas? However am glad to see you blogging again. I really enjoy your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the only thing that helped me with that, anne, was the sleep meds. i was *really* reluctant to take them (which is why it took a month of disrupted sleep to get me to do it). but i think i had just established strong enough patterns that i couldn't have broken them on my own. taking the sleep meds helped me re-establish better patterns. though my other new meds probably help me maintain them. no help for you there. :)

    good luck.

    ReplyDelete