a few new treasures to add to a growing stockpile.
- out loud. not many books move me to do so, but christie malry's own double entry did. it's an intelligent little novel (only about 180 pages) by b.s. johnson about a young man just making his way in the world when he stumbles upon his great idea which results in much mayhem and hilarity. at once scathingly disturbing and delightful, it's a fascinating treatment of not only society, but also the novel and literary art.
- at shamelessly cheesy television. "the adventures of briscoe county, jr." to be exact. a silly but smart and entertaining TV western.
- cuban style at felix's. on the orange circle in old town orange. try #19--arrozo cubana--a delicious blend of rice, saffron, chorizo, pork, chicken and other spices. and don't miss the tres leche cake--white cake soaked in cream and topped with whipped cream.
- on indian at ambala dhaba. in artesia's little india (on pinoeer blvd.). the best indian i've eaten in california. the goat curry was delicious. and i was surprisingly happy with the eggplant dish we tried.
- living with ambiguity. as expressed in Philippians 4:12, which reads: "I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." i love this idea--that we must learn to live being both full--replete with the word of god--and hungry--longing for more of his word. the word of god being only one example of how we must find this balance. it seems we must find it in so many other ways. in loving other people perfectly while never being able to fully know them. in living in peace even as we are full of struggle. in still laughing with joy while weeping in sorrow. in my mind, this balance--this coexistence of unavoidable opposites--must be what christ experienced. which would explain why the verse following this exhortation reads: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."